There has been a school in Beechcroft Road since September 1926, when Bec Grammar School opened. The school had only five classes with 129 students and seven members of staff.
Bec Grammar School
In 1960, Hillcroft School opened on an adjoining site as a boys’ comprehensive.
The two schools were separate establishments until 1970, when they merged to form one school – Bec-Hillcroft. A new single-storey building was built to link the two separate school buildings together. The name Bec-Hillcroft did not last long, and the school was renamed Ernest Bevin School in 1971, after the former Wandsworth Central Labour minister Ernest Bevin.
Photos of Ernest Bevin School circa 1980
In 1993 a major building project to refurbish the school buildings began. During this time only Year 10 and 11 students remained on the school site; Years 7, 8 and 9 were based in the recently vacated buildings of Walsingham School on Clapham Common Westside. The original Bec Grammar School building was demolished and the land was developed for private housing.
The building work was completed in 1996 and all students moved into the new buildings on Beechcroft Road. The school was renamed Ernest Bevin College in June 1997. In 2023 the school joined United Learning and was renamed Ernest Bevin Academy.
Another major building development began in 2005; the construction of the new Sports and Sixth Form Centre. Additions included an indoor swimming pool, fitness suite and a judo dojo. This complex was officially opened in September 2007 by Dame Kelly Holmes.