All students are encouraged to develop a love of reading, as an essential life skill. The Accelerated Reader programme was introduced to promote reading across the college in September 2014. Year 7 and 8 students are assessed once a term for their literacy levels and on the basis of these assessments, they are guided towards appropriate books that they can enjoy and understand (as well as providing a little bit of challenge!).
Students can quiz on books they have read, please click this link to access quizzes.
The aim of the programme is to ensure all students:
- read books regularly
- are guided to books of a level appropriate to their reading ability
- have their reading skills assessed through quick quizzes when they finish each book
- are supported to improve their reading skills and measure their progress
- encourages students to read at home and in other free time.
If you would like more information about the scheme please click on the links below:
To see whether a book is included in the scheme by checking the Book Finder link below
Parents can support their child by:
- encouraging him to read regularly
- talking to him about what he is reading
- reminding him to take the online quiz when he has finished a book (currently this quiz can not be taken on a home computer, it must be accessed at school)