All boys are encouraged to develop a love of reading, as an essential life skill. The Accelerated Reader programme was introduced to promote reading across the college in September 2014.
All pupils are assessed once a term for their literacy levels and on the basis of these assessments, they are guided towards appropriate books that they can enjoy and understand (as well as providing a little bit of challenge!).
The aim of the programme is to ensure all pupils:
- Read books regularly
- Guide pupils to books of a level appropriate to their reading ability
- Assess pupils’ reading skills through quick quizzes when they finish each book
- Help pupils improve their reading skills and measure progress
To support these changes we have introduced a 20 minute reading period after lunch every day. The college also recommends boys should read at home and in other free time.
If you would like more information about the scheme please click on the links below:
To see whether a book is included in the scheme by checking the Book Finder link below
Parents can support your son by:
- encouraging him to read regularly
- talking to him about what he is reading
- reminding him to take the online quiz when he has finished a book (currently this quiz can not be taken on a home computer, it must be accessed at school)
To log in to Renaissance Home Connect click the link below (You will need to ask your son for his username and password). Or you can download a free App by searching ‘Accelerated Reader’.
To receive an email alert when you son passes a quiz register via the link below (You will need to ask your son for his username and password to register – his tutor will have this information):